BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The 2020 Kenny Awards Ceremony scheduled for May 16 has been canceled.
In a statement, Shea's Performing Art Center said each finalist will share the "Outstanding Musical Production Award." In addition, Shea's will reward each school with an $1000 grant for their theatre program.
“We respect the hard work and creativity that each high school has invested in these productions," Shea’s President Michael G. Murphy said in a statement. “Each school community of parents, teachers, administrators, directors, and local businesses gave these students their time, energy, and resources. We hope that this gift will encourage those communities to continue their support of these vital theatre programs."
The ten schools to receive the "Outstanding Musical Production Award" and grant are:
- Akron High School (Akron, NY) — Disney’s High School Musical
- Amherst Central High School (Amherst, NY) — Titanic
- Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart (Amherst, NY) — Matilda the Musical
- Cardinal O’Hara High School (Tonawanda, NY) — Shrek the Musical
- Eden High School (Eden, NY) — 42nd Street
- Fillmore Central School (Fillmore, NY) — Bye Bye Birdie
- Lewiston-Porter High School (Youngstown, NY) — Mamma Mia!
- Lockport High School (Lockport, NY) — Hello, Dolly!
- Maple Grove Jr./Sr. High School (Bemus Point, NY) — Matilda the Musical
- Niagara Wheatfield Senior High School (Sanborn, NY) — Mary Poppins