OLEAN, N.Y. (WKBW) — Olean General Hospital has suspended patient visitation due to community spread of COVID-19.
A message on the hospital's website states "with the exception of end-of-life situations and the designated support person for maternity patients," patient visitation is being suspending effective October 6 due to community spread of COVID-19.
The suspension is for at least 30 days.
The full message from the hospital's website can be read below.
"NO VISITORS (effective 10-6-20)
Due to community spread of COVID-19 and out of an abundance of caution we are suspending patient visitation at OGH effective immediately with the exception of end-of-life situations and the designated support person for maternity patients.
OGH has new capabilities to arrange for virtual visits via iPad. Patients can contact pastoral care or a nurse regarding how to connect with loved ones.
Thank you for your understanding."
“As a community we all need to do everything within our power to halt the spread of this virus. We must remain focused as the likelihood of continued community spread increases as colleges and high schools are now in session and flu season is upon us," said William Mills, MD, UAHS chief medical office. “We can’t stop COVID, but we can significantly decrease the risks to our employees, family and community becoming infected if we all do our part – not just in the hospital, but in the community. Remember – wash your hands, wear your mask and maintain your distance.”
The hospital says the following steps have been taken to attempt to stop the spread of COVID-19:
- Screening everyone upon entering the hospital.
- Visitors are asked screening questions and temperature checked before entering.
- Employees are expected to report if they have symptoms or exposure to COVID-19 or if they have traveled to areas where COVID-19 is prevalent.
- Enforcing masking policy, meaning everyone must wear a mask at all times.
- Vigorously enforce hand washing for everyone in the building.
- Continually updating staff with the facts.
- Posting appropriate signage in all areas.
- Creating space for social distancing.
For more information you can visit the website here.