Construction is in full gear in western New York.
The Department of Transportation has eleven major projects in the works for this season in western New York.
That's more than $155 million invested into our roads and highways.
However, at times that becomes a hassle.
Months of construction lie ahead for the replacement of the Elmwood Avenue bridge near SUNY Buffalo State.
The roadwork can be frustrating for students.
"It takes at least five minutes to get through if you're coming through an intersection over here," said Andrew Klimowicz, a senior at the school.
"It makes you irritated," added student Chris Wall, who walks across Elmwood Avenue to get to class."Even today, I almost got hit by a car. It's a little insane. People don't know how to drive through here."
Cones have already been placed along the sign of the I-290 near Delaware Avenue, along with a sign warning of delays.
According to the DOT, plans are in place to continue last year's constructions to replace bridges on Military and Delaware. The construction will reduce traffic to two lanes both eastbound and westbound.
Not everyone is pessimistic about the road work.
"We live right down the street from it, they followed through on everything. We saw minimal delays," said Shawn Ryan, who lives near the construction.
On Niagara Street, road work and coupled with impatient drivers can lead to 10 to 20 minute back-ups at the exit on some days.
"People are supposed to turn left and they take two lanes and turn right," said Ramon Rodriguez, who has found alternate routes.
One piece of good news on the road work front -- after two years of construction on the Grand Island bridge, there are no major construction plans there for the upcoming season.
Here is a list from the Department of Transportation of major projects getting underway in the upcoming months:
- I-290 over Delaware Avenue and Military Road Bridges, Town of Tonawanda, Erie County. Cost is $14.2 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.
- NY Gateway Connection Improvements to US Peace Bridge Plaza, City of Buffalo, Erie County. Cost is $56.2 million. Completion: Summer of 2017.
- Interchange Reconstruction of Robert Moses Parkway at John B. Daly Boulevard, City of Niagara Falls, Niagara County. Cost is $15.8 million. Competion: Summer of 2016.
- I-86 Pavement Rehabilitation & Bridge Repairs, Town of Carrolton and Allegany, Cattaraugus County. Cost is $22.2 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.
- Repair of I-86 Bridges over Conewango Creek & WNY Penn Railroad, Town of Poland. Cost is $4.2 million. Completion: Summer of 2016
- Replacement of Elmwood Avenue Bridge over NY Route 198 and Scajaquada Creek, City of Buffalo. Cost is $10.3 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.
- Replacement of NY Route 400 Bridge over Harlem Road, Town of West Seneca, Erie County. Cost is $10.0 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.
- Replacement of NY Route 39 Bridges over Cattaraugus Creek and Otis Creek, Town of Sardinia. Cost is $2.8 million. Completion: Fall of 2016
- Replacement of Former Route 219 Bridge over Cattaraugus Creek, Towns of Concord and Ashford, Erie and Cattaraugus Counties. Cost is $16.9 million. Completion: Fall of 2017.
- I-86 Pavement Repairs, Town of Hinsdale. Cost is $1.5 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.
- NY Route 277 Pavement Rehabilitation, Town of Orchard Park. Cost is $1.8 million. Completion: Fall of 2016.