The search for the missing boater in Lake Erie is over. The Coast Guard announced Thursday night that the search for 37-year-old Giusseppe Reinhart had been discontinued in day three of the rescue operation.
Reinhart, a native of Niagara Falls, Ontario, has been missing since he left for a solo finishing trip Tuesday. Officials found his unmanned boat near Hamburg on Tuesday afternoon
"Due to the amount of time that has passed since the man departed on his fishing trip and the ideal search conditions our crews experienced over the course of of our searches, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue search efforts at sunset pending any new developments.", said Cmdr. Tad Drozdowski, Coast Guard Sector Buffalo Chief of Response.
The Coast Guard says search crews completed 65 search patterns covering 5,364 nautical miles in looking for Reinhart.
""Our deepest condolences go to the Reinhart family and all those affected. More than 50 people from across the Coast Guard and other Canadian, federal, state and local partners searched thousands of miles with hope of bringing Mr. Reinhart home to his loved ones.", said Drozdowski in a release.
Reinhart is on parole in Canada after serving a prison sentence for manslaughter in 2008.