wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Careless smoking could have sparked Amherst fire

Posted at 12:18 AM, Dec 19, 2014
and last updated 2015-12-14 00:16:54-05

Careless smoking may be to blame for a late night fire on Denrose Drive in Amherst.

The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Thursday in an upstairs bedroom at the Denrose Apartments along the 100 block of Denrose Drive.

The Ellicott Creek Fire Company chief said the fire smoldered in the wall before it broke through to the outside.

Firefighters had to wait a few minutes until the power company could de-energize a power line right in front of the fire. Cold temperatures contributed to slippery conditions around the fire scene.

No one was hurt, but the occupant of the apartment was displaced. Total damages are estimated at $65,000.

The initial investigation revealed that careless smoking could by the contributing factor for this fire.