It's a great weekend to get out and enjoy the water. Here are a few boating safety tips to keep in mind:
- Always wear a life jacket or personal floatation device with a whistle attached.
- Never paddle alone
- Never mix alcohol or drugs with boating
- Avoid standing in a canoe or kayak
- If you do capsize, stay with the watercraft.
- Always bring plenty of water and food with you.
The 4th of July weekend is usually the peak for boating season in western New York. We caught up with several boaters and kayakers enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon on Lake Erie. They said the water is usual very busy during this time of year, and it makes it more difficult to navigate through the harbor.
One boat owner said you really have to watch out for kayakers. "It took me 15 minutes to come in here because of kayakers. They wouldn't turn or go backwards…nothing," said Bob Zielinski.
Water patrols will be out in full force for the rest of the holiday weekend. They will be making sure boaters and kayakers stay safe. That includes those who violate boating laws.