Black Friday is certainly chaotic! Follow these tips from the National Crime Prevention Council to make your shopping experience a safe one this Friday.
- Stay alert. Some of the busiest times are in the dark - after the sun goes down and before it comes back up.
- Pay attention to people crossing streets and walking to and from cars. Shoppers could be carrying large bundles to their car, making it hard to see around them, or may not be watching where they are going. Look behind you and to both sides before pulling out of parking spots and keep your headlights on until there is enough daylight.
- Make a game plan before shopping. This will keep you from being distracted by window displays or store advertisements while driving. You will also know where you're going, further decreasing distractions.
- Park in well lit areas and use a buddy system. If there is no one with you and you don't feel comfortable walking your purchases out alone, ask a security guard to escort you to your car.
- Have your keys in hand. Avoid being caught off guard with your arms full. Get your keys ready before you head to your car.
- Don't leave your new purchases visible. Bring some blankets to cover up the clothes, toys and video games you bought if they can't be tucked in your trunk. Someone may see them through the window of your car and try to break in and steal them.
|Live video, the latest news and no surveys - download the WKBW app|
|News, forecast and Bills newsletters delivered to your e-mail inbox|