wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Apartment fire: Man, dog dead after leaving food unattended on stove

default.png
Posted at 12:30 PM, Apr 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-02 12:30:56-04

A man died overnight after the Jamestown Fire Department found him in the middle of an apartment fire.

Fire crews responded to reports of smoke just after 1 a.m. and found a fire in the upper apartment at 119 Myrtle Street.

Firefighters found the 39-year-old man and his dog in the apartment. Alstar Ambulance tried to resuscitate the man and the animal at the scene.

The victim was taken to Women's Christian Association Hospital and was later pronounced dead, according to the Jamestown Fire Department. Officials say the dog also died as a result of heavy smoke in the apartment.

The fire department says the fire was ruled an accident, resulting from food being left unattended on the stove.