ALDEN, N.Y. (WKBW) - Alannah Pionessa doesn't want gifts or a party for her ninth birthday on June 8. Instead, she wants to collect donations to give to babies born in the Oishei Children's Hospital NICU.
Alannah spent more than 11 weeks in a NICU when she was born. Her parents weren't sure if she would make it. Now almost nine years old, she wants to give to the babies who are being born there now.
"When I was in the NICU, the best thing was to [hear my parents] read," Alannah said. "My parents grabbed books and magazines and read to me so I could hear their voice."
Her mom Heather Rust says when she would read to Alannah, her voice would soothe her baby and help her relax. Rust hopes Alannah's donations can do the same for parents and babies in Oishei's NICU.
Alannah is asking for donations of new books and blankets to bring to the NICU on June 8. There are six drop-off locations listed below.
- Paulter Chiropractic and Wellness, 13305 Broadway St. in Alden. Hours are Monday 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Wednesday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The Alden Advertiser, 13200 Broadway St. in Alden. Hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- DENT Neurological Institute, 200 Sterling Drive in Orchard Park and 3980 Sheridan Drive in Amherst.
- Rolly Pollies of East Amherst, 9630 Transit Road.
- Rolly Pollies of Orchard Park, 4058 North Buffalo Road.
- Rolly Pollies of North Buffalo, 1669 Hertel Avenue.
Alannah is hoping to donate 100 books and blankets. Her mom says she's also collected $250 in donated money, which is also graciously accepted.