wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

8-year-old victim in fatal fire laid to rest

Posted at 6:28 PM, May 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-03 12:44:35-04

Funeral services were Monday for 8-year old Treasure Brighon at True Bethel Baptist Church. The little girl died a week ago, two months after suffering severe burns in a house fire.

Treasure was pulled from her burning home on Humber Avenue in Buffalo last February.  The fire killed her step-father, Demetrius Johnson and Juan Montanez, who lived upstairs.

Treasure suffered burns over 90% of her body and had been receiving treatment in the pediatric burn center at Shriners Hospital for Children in Cincinnati, Ohio. Fire investigators announced this week that the blaze was accidental and was sparked by faulty wiring in the kitchen.

About a hundred people attending the funeral and wake services for Treasure. Her mother, Tempest Thomas even fought back tears to say a few words at the funeral.

"I'm sad because I ain't got you no more and I won't get to see your first kiss, and your first day at school, your first graduation. But you will live in my memory and you are a kid I will never forget," Thomas said.

Relatives even said they want  a ward at Buffalo's new children's hospital named after Brighon and called "Treasure's Island."