Long before being known for Buffalo’s best ice cream, it was in 1946 that Carl and Greta Anderson, the son and daughter of Swedish immigrants, opened the first Anderson’s Frozen Custard on White Plains Boulevard in Bronx, New York.
Homesick for Buffalo, they returned to open another custard stand on Kenmore Avenue in 1947.
Hard work and quality soon earned them a great reputation and allowed then to replace their small custard stand with a larger one on Sheridan Drive in 1952. This original drive-in location still exists today.
Greta is celebrating her 100th birthday and all month Anderson’s is celebrating it too.