On School House 7 it is “Special’s Week.” Today Jay Hall focuses on home economics. Home economics is special and there are many things your student can learn that are life-long skills.
1. Cooking – learn about following directions, ingredients, food safety, measurement techniques and using equipment.
2. Money management – this includes counting and spending, savings, check writing, bill payments and investing.
3. Sewing – This will teach your children hand-eye coordination, and original design as well as being therapeutic.
4. Nutrition – Talking about diet, metabolism, digestion, nutrients and malnutrition.
5. Housekeeping – Involve your kids in cleaning and disinfecting, taking the trash out, recycling, and chores. They will need to know these things.
6. Laundry – How to use detergent, safety, drying and folding clothes and having a system.
7. Meal planning – This is time management, grocery shopping and budgeting.
8. Home repairs – Basic maintenance, teaching your kids to use tools and equipment safely.
9. Etiquette – Learning manners, dinner etiquette, phone use and internet.