BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Students have already started classes at many colleges in Western New York, however several of them have their first day of classes on Monday.
Here are all of the colleges in Western New York starting their first day of classes on August 31st.
- Houghton College, Houghton
- Buffalo State College, Buffalo
- Canisius College, Buffalo
- Hilbert College, Hamburg
- Medaille College, Buffalo
- Trocaire College, Buffalo
- University at Buffalo, Buffalo
- Villa Maria College, Buffalo
- Genesee Community College, Batavia
- Niagara County Community College, Sanborn
- Niagara University, Lewiston
Officials at colleges are asking students to stay mindful.
"They want to stay here and be here we need to all be in this together we need to take care of ourselves and each other by wearing a mask when you're walking around campus and if you can't be socially distant wear a mask inside for class," said Dr. Daniel Dentino, Dean of Students at Canisius.
There's excitement, but also many changes. 7 Eyewitness News spoke with Canisius, Buff State and UB about their plans and all three schools:
- Have daily health screenings
- Test those with symptoms
- Have housing set aside for isolation
- Are prepared to go fully remote if there is a rise in cases
"What I ask everyone is to reinforce with our students and with our community members to continue to follow protocols," said Dr. Kate Conway-Turner, President at Buffalo State.
Students at UB have some concerns. More than 700 people have signed a change.org petition demanding UB put in place enforcement measures for social distancing.
"We are setting up a hotline in the next couple days...students can report to their resident advisor, so in some ways we already have processes set up," said A. Scott Weber, the school's Provost.
Weber also says they're cracking down on partying, but students have been complying so far.
Hilbert College in Hamburg is launching a shuttle service to bring students from Buffalo to the school beginning Monday.
You can find more information about the shuttle here.