BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The COVID-19 pandemic has left millions out of work. Open positions are few and far between. So how does a 2020 college graduate start his or her career at this time? Cathy Lanzalaco, CEO of Inspire Careers, has the dos and don’ts of searching for a job as a recent college grad. She specializes in helping find recent college graduates jobs.
She said it’s no secret the job market is not-so-hot right now.
“We're not going to pretend that there aren't millions of people out of work. We're not going to pretend that the pandemic has not happened,” Lanzalaco said.
She said there are a handful of things 2020 graduates should be doing and other things they should avoid.
- Be confident. Your attitude makes a difference.
- Keep up with the skills you learned in college. Read books, magazines and articles.
- Demonstrate you are keeping up with those skills. Demonstrate your abilities. This can be done through starting a podcast, blog, even LinkedIn posts. Create content, regardless of the field.
- Use your free time to better yourself. Do something that furthers your knowledge with your extra minutes.
- Network. Connect with people in the industry you would like to work in. Ask them questions, chat about your future, how they got where they are.
- Reach out to recruiters, ask where jobs are open. Talk to people in power who you would like to work for. Ask them what they're looking for.
- Look into working at a particular company. Start there. You may not begin in your dream position, but you could climb there.
- Go into the job hunt with a defeated attitude.
- Don't expect people to reach out to you.
- Don't rely on job boards.