ANGOLA, N.Y. (WKBW) — The "new normal" hit the beach Friday in one Erie County Park. Dozens flocked to Bennett Beach in Angola as swimming officially began.
Some rules and regulations remain at the beach including no dogs, alcohol, or glass containers. Other rules have been added including:
- The Erie County Park must now operate at 50% capacity or a maximum of 450 people
- Beachgoers must maintain 6 feet of distance between each other
- Blankets and chairs must be 10 feet apart
- Groups on the beach should be limited to family and household members
- Masks are required
- Restrooms cleaned once a day
Throughout the afternoon on Friday, an Erie County Park Ranger checked bags while also ensuring the new rules were followed. The Town of Evans Police and Erie County Sheriff’s Office were both also briefly at the county park to assist.
Swimming is open every day at Bennett Beach from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. as long as a lifeguard is present.
Earlier this week, Erie County Parks Commissioner Troy Schnizel said it all comes down to education and compliance in order to keep everyone safe.
“We know what works. We know what we are supposed to be doing now it's a matter of doing that, so we're just asking for compliance," Schnizel said.