I-Team: Investigation of NCCC leads to statewide review of college sex assaults

Cuomo says state "will accept nothing less"

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - - A 7 Eyewitness News I-Team investigation of sexual assaults at Niagara County Community College is leading to action from the governor.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo -- who had previously called for an investigation of NCCC handling of those assaults -- said Wednesday he is expanding that review to include all college campuses in the state.

Cuomo said he will "accept nothing less" than compliance with the “Enough is Enough” legislation that he signed into law in 2015. The law mandates the proper handling of sexual assault cases.

The governor’s top lawyer said the I-Team investigation -- which led to the resignation of former college president James P. Klyczek -- was a key factor in the governor’s decision to launch this probe.

“There was a news report about Niagara Community College, upstate, there was also a news report about Wagner College in Staten Island,” Alphonso David, counsel to the governor, told 7 Eyewitness News. “There were concerns that in both cases there was either a lack of awareness or a failure to effectively implement the laws to protect students against sexual assault.”

He added, “For those two principal reasons, the governor thought it was important to commence this probe and really look at all of the colleges and universities and make sure students are protected.”

David also said if colleges do not comply with the law, they could lose their licenses to practice education in New York.

The governor is urging the public to come forward with any instances of the mishandling of sexual assaults on college campuses by contacting the Executive Chamber or the State Police Campus Sexual Assault Victims Unit hotline by calling 844-845-7269. More information can also be found by clicking here

Print this article Back to Top