Man hurt when e-cigarette turns into mini-pipe bomb

GATES, N.Y. (WKBW) - A man in Monroe County was injured last week when his e-cigarette exploded.

The nickel cadmium battery overheated in the electronic smoking device and exploded in the man’s home in the Town of Gates.

It sparked a fire that damaged the carpet and the explosion sent the end cap of the e-cigarette across the room and into a wall. Metal shards sliced open the victim’s hand.

The fire chief says the battery failure turned the tube into a miniature pipe bomb. He warns users should follow the device’s instructions when recharging the battery.

Print this article Back to Top