Are you getting enough sleep at night?
Univera Healthcare commissioned a survey on sleep habits and found that 40 percent of upstate New York adults are getting less than the recommended seven hours a night. Lack of sleep contributes to many physical and mental health problems, and is linked to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other chronic illness.
To improve your sleep:
- Stick to a sleep schedule.
- Keep your bedroom cool, quiet and dark.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and large meals before bed.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes each day.
- Keep TVs and computers out of the bedroom.
If you’re not sleeping well, speak with your doctor.