Western New York and the world will celebrate National Eye Health Week from Sept. 16-22. That being said, when’s the last time you had your eyes examined by a trained eye care professional?
Combined with the excitement of back-to-school season and September is the perfect month to make sure you’re seeing clearly well into the future.
Tomasik Optical has been serving the Western New York community since 1958! With offices in Orchard Park and Lackawanna, the eye care professionals at Tomasik Optical understand that glasses are not only a medical device to help you see better, but also an accessory for you to wear in style and confidence in order to look your best.
There are several ways to care for your eyes, and here are a few tips:
• Your diet can affect your vision. Antioxidants can help prevent retinal damage so make sure items such as kale, spinach, broccoli, corn, carrots, sweet peppers, oranges, salmon, tuna, mackerel and eggs are part of your meal menu.
• A lack of exercise contributes significantly to several eye conditions, particularly among senior citizens. Exercise helps reduce the risk of sight loss from narrowing or hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure and diabetes.
• Excessive alcohol consumption and smoking can also lead to serious health conditions which can have a negative effect on your eye health.
• Protecting your eyes from the sun is also very important! Select sunglasses that offer proper protection from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
• Individuals of Asian, African or Caribbean descent or people over 40 should go for an eye exam at least every two years as they are more at risk of developing eye disease.
• Some eye conditions, such as glaucoma, can run in families. It’s important to review your eye health and overall health with family members.
• If you wear contact lenses, make sure you take proper care of them. Thoroughly wash and dry your hands before touching your contact lenses or your eyes, and only clean your contact lenses using the solution recommended by your optometrist.
• Protect your eyes if you work with hazardous or airborne materials at work or home or participate in sports.
Eye examinations at Tomasik Optical are offered at their Orchard Park location at 3800 N. Buffalo Road. For more information, please call the Orchard Park location at 667-0004 or the Lackawanna store (1258 Electric Ave.) at 825-7434. And for more information on eye care and eyewear, please visit www.tomasikoptical.com, email email@example.com or follow Tomasik Optical on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TomasikOptical.