Fatal Shooting at ECMC

June 13, 2012 Updated Nov 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM EDT

By WKBW News

June 13, 2012 Updated Nov 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM EDT

BUFFALO, N.Y. ( WKBW ) 33 year old Jacqueline Wisniewski was shot and killed in front of the DK Miller building on the ECMC campus Wednesday morning.

Wisniewski was shot in a covered passageway between the hospital's Kidney Center and the Miller Building.

Late Wednesday night, Buffalo Police had an update on the situation, saying they are looking for Dr. Timothy V. Jorden, 49 years old, of Lakeview, NY. He is identified as a "person of interest" in connection with the shooting.

The victim, identified as Jacqueline Wisniewski, 33 years old, was shot at around 8:00 am at the David K. Miller building on the Erie County Medical Center grounds, 462 Grider Street in Buffalo.

"The hospital had been thoroughly searched, and police continue checking possible locations where the person of interest may have fled to, including a home in Lakeview, NY. The doctor is considered to be armed and dangerous," said Dennis J. Richards, chief of Detectives.

The hospital and surrounding area was in lockdown for several hours before re-opening in the early afternoon, except for the DK Miller building, as police continued to search for a suspect. Patients were being diverted to Buffalo General Hospital for a period of time.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown joined Police Chief Daniel Derenda for a Noon news conference with an update on the situation. Dereneda noted that this was not a random act of violence. Officials confirmed that a reported second shooting inside the hospital did not happen.

The victim worked at ECMC.

In a release obtained by Eyewitness News, hospital CEO Jody Lomeo stated:

“On behalf of the entire ECMC family, I want to express our sincere condolences to the victim’s relatives and friends – many of whom work here among us. This is an unspeakable tragedy for everyone involved. We initiated grief counseling and employee assistance program protocols, as you would expect for a hospital that any day can be faced with multiple trauma cases. For us, that’s really what this is, a trauma within our working family. I have met today with many members of our day and afternoon shifts to explain as much as we know and offer help.

“At this time, all ECMC officials and staff are taking direction from police authorities who are in charge of this investigation. Their first order of business is to apprehend this individual.

“We are a small town on 65 acres. Workplace and domestic violence – the evidence of which we see every day in our ER – are terrible facts of life in our society. I want the Western New York community to know that ECMC is open and functioning and we are doing all we can to support our employees and patients. We appreciate the outpouring of support for our staff, our patients and ECMC and we ask you to keep the victims in your prayers.”

Earlier in the day, officials at ECMC released this information:

"The ECMC Health Campus has reopened, except for the DK Miller Office Building which is closed at this time. All employees scheduled to work today should report at their regularly scheduled time. ECMC is no longer on emergency room diversion and has resumed all regular operations. Anyone that needs patient or employee information should call 898-5500."

A spokesperson for Buffalo Public Schools says the Lydia T Wright School of Excellence (P.S. 89) and P.S. 84 were both on lockdown due to the incident.

The Buffalo Public Schools issued a statement Wednesday morning:
Following an incident inside Erie County Medical Center early this morning, the Buffalo Public School District is following emergency procedures at schools in the surrounding area. Police officers were patrolling the buildings and had a presence in the area surrounding the schools. School administration was in contact with district administration and law enforcement for further guidance.

The district is confident that every effort was made to ensure the safety of students and staff.

A Buffalo SWAT team was on the scene shortly after 8a.m. Wednesday morning. County Sheriff's Air One helicopter had been searching the area since the incident happened, before that activity moved to the home of the person of interest in Lakeview.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.