Jury Selection Begins in Mohamad Mohamud Trial

October 11, 2012 Updated Oct 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM EDT

By Rachel Elzufon

...
October 11, 2012 Updated Oct 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM EDT

Buffalo, NY (WKBW) - Jury selection is underway for a man accused of beating his stepson to death in the basement of their Buffalo home earlier this year.

Ali Mohamad Mohamud is pleading not guilty to second degree murder.

He is accused of beating his stepson, 10-year-old Abdifatah, to death with a rolling pin. Mohamad Mohamud allegedly shoving a stock in his mouth and covering it with duct-tape, earlier this year. Police say he confessed to the crime.

Jury selection began a little around 10:30 in the morning.

Attorneys expect to go through so many potential jurors, they moved from a third floor courtroom down to the basement for jury selection.

The reason for that -- attorneys say they're worried jurors will not be able to stomach the evidence.

Attorneys describe the evidence in this case as very intense, including graphic descriptions of Abdifatah's body and video of the crime scene.

Judge Christopher Burns told about 70 potential jurors that whomever is chosen will not be sequestered. Judge Burns also talked to potential jurors about the high-profile nature of the case.

Before jury selection began, attorneys talked to the judge about a question for the jurors involving the public outrage after Corasanti's verdict.

In May, Dr. James Corasanti was acquitted of all major charges in the hit-and-run death of 18-year-old Alexandria Rice, sparking criticism of the jury from the public.

Defense Attorney Kevin Spitler said he wants to make sure jurors would be comfortable finding a not guilty verdict in a high-profile case.

Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest on jury selection and the Mohamad Mohamud trial.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.