Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Public Places

December 6, 2012 Updated Oct 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM EDT

By WKBW News

December 6, 2012 Updated Oct 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW-TV) - Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless toxin that can be deadly. A West Seneca family successfully passed Amanda's Law in New York State that says a carbon monoxide detector must be installed in all residential dwellings. Now they are pushing for a federal law that would require carbon monoxide detectors in all public buildings like schools and hotels.

Ken Hansen passed out carbon monoxide detectors Thursday morning at St. Luke's Mission of Mercy to continue spreading the message about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Hansen's daughter, Amanda, died of carbon monoxide poisoning back in January of 2009.

"We want to see all dwellings have it," Hansen said. "I'm trying to work with Chuck Schumer right now to help us get Amanda's law passed federal to get these places protected."

"We're working with the western New York folks to try and get this bill written up and made available," replied U.S. Senator Charles Schumer.

Currently Maryland and Connecticut are the only two states that require carbon monoxide detectors in public schools and Maryland only requires them in new schools.
In Texas, they have to be installed in certain daycare centers and only 25 states require them in residential buildings.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.