Five-Year-Old Causes Fatal Fire

July 3, 2014 Updated Jul 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM EDT

By Matt Bove

...
July 3, 2014 Updated Jul 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM EDT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW-TV) - Fire investigators are now saying that last week's deadly Regina Place fire was ignited by a five-year-old boy.

"The results of our fire marshal's investigation have resulted in the confession of the five year old son of the occupant of the deceased," Buffalo Fire Commissioner Garnell Whitfield said. "(He had) been playing with a lighter and started the fire".

Officials also say that the home didn't have a smoke detector, which they find incredibly disturbing.

As a result, starting today, every fire house in Buffalo will have smoke detectors available if you are in need of one.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.