The Buffalo Bisons defeated the Rochester Red Wings Wednesday night, 8-7, in 10 innings, despite trailing 6-0 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning. The six-run comeback is the second largest ninth-inning comeback in the team’s Modern Era.
It was nearly 13 months ago when the Herd set the record for their largest comeback in the Modern Era. On May 5, 2007, Buffalo defeated Pawtucket, 15-14, despite trailing the Red Sox, 14-6 in the ninth inning.
Wednesday night’s victory was the Bisons’ second straight over Rochester. The Red Wings held the Bisons to just four singles in the first eight innings of the game while building a 6-0 lead. The Herd then scored six runs on six hits in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings. The Red Wings scored a run in the top of the 10th inning, but Buffalo responded with two in the bottom of the 10th for the 8-7 walk-off win.
Brad Snyder had the game-winning hit as he singled over a drawn-in outfield with no outs and the bases loaded in the 10th inning.
Rochester 6, Buffalo 0 –Bottom of 9th inning
1. Jorge Velandia reaches on an infield single.
2. Michael Aubrey singles to right field, Velandia to second
3. Todd Linden walks, Velandia to third and Aubrey to second.
4. Jordan Brown singles up the middle, Velandia scores, Aubrey to third, Linden to second
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 1)
5. Passed Ball by Rochester catcher Jose Morales, Aubrey scores, Linden to third, Brown to second.
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 2)
6. Aaron Herr strikes out.
7. Wild pitch by Rochester’s Tim Lahey, Linden scores, Brown to third.
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 3)
8. Brad Snyder singles to center, Brown scores
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 4)
9. Jason Tyner strikes out
10. Pinch hitter Jason Cooper doubles to right-center, Snyder scores
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 5)
11. Josh Barfield singles to left field, Cooper scores
(Rochester 6, Buffalo 6)
Rochester 7, Buffalo 6 –Bottom of 10th inning
1. Michael Aubrey doubles to center
2. Todd Linden hits a sacrifice bunt and reaches on third baseman Chris Basak’s throwing error, pinch runner Chris De La Cruz to third
3. Todd Linden steals second
4. Jordan Brown intentionally walked
5. Aaron Herr singles to center, De La Cruz scores, Linden to third, Brown to second
(Rochester 7, Buffalo 7)
6. Brad Snyder singles to left, Linden scores
(Buffalo 8, Rochester 7)