Cheektowaga, NY (WKBW) - A Cheektowaga neighborhood was rocked by an explosion Sunday afternoon.
The homeowners had just left the house, when neighbors say they heard an explosion, ran outside and saw a huge ball of flames.
The explosion took place just after two in the afternoon.
Colleen Slota, a neighbor says she "heard a boom -- literally shook my house. Looked out the window, and all I saw was a big ball of smoke."
Neighbors could see flames and smoke from miles away.
The fire engulfed a garage, damaged the back of a house and threatened nearby homes.
Melissa Utz witnessed the blaze. She says "You can't see anything in front of you, everything was black. The smell was horrible. It just smelled like nothing but burnt ash."
Multiple fire crews were called to Thruway Court within minutes.
Homeowners made sure their neighbors were safe and had to hose down their own houses to prevent the flames from spreading.
Neighbors say they were jolted by explosion after explosion.
Chief David Passalugo, from the U-Crest Fire District, says, "We did here a couple explosions when we walked up when we were actually working the fire. There was a couple propane tanks in there and a vehicle in the garage as well, so some of the tires probably exploded."
The fire spread to the house, which sustained minor damage. However, the garage was completely destroyed. The vinyl and siding on nearby homes and garages sustained some damages from the heat of the blaze.
No one was injured.
Investigators are still looking into what sparked the fire.