Students at the University of Buffalo watched in disbelief as a dorm room burst into flames in less than three minutes, but this fire was planned.
The fire was only a demonstration, part of UB's safety fair. The demonstration is held every year, educating students about fire prevention. This year the demonstration hit closer to home, after a recent fire happened at Medaille College. A student at Medaille allegedly put hot marijuana ashes into a dorm room trash can, which started a small fire inside the room and caused an estimated $200,000 in damages.
"I think it's good education," said Assistant Fire Chief for the Getzville Fire Company David Nowak. "By the end of the demonstration, they see the realization. They see everything in that room totally burned, and the realization kicks in pretty quickly."
"That's what its all about - education. If you can create the awareness of just how dangerous fire is, then it will be in the back of their minds," said Jim Guy, fire safety manager for UB.