Avoid Toys With Magnets

December 14, 2010 Updated Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM EDT

By WKBW Programming

...
December 14, 2010 Updated Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM EDT

(WKBW/CLEVELAND CLINIC) Make sure safety is a top priority when you are buying toys for the holiday.

Pediatricians at Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital say parents should be careful about buying toys or games with magnets.

Doctors say if a child swallows two magnets, they can attract and cause some serious medical problems.

Doctors say coins are the most commonly swallowed objects, but things like keys, marbles, and jewelry can also be swallowed.

And many times a younger child will swallow a piece from a sibling's toy, so consider that as well, when shopping for your family.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.