WATERTOWN, MA (ABC NEWS) Investigators were unable to grill the surviving Boston Marathon bomb suspect today because he is so badly injured that he is unable to communicate.
Gov. Deval Patrick indicated the grave danger for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev when he said to reporters today that authorities "hope he survives, because we have a million questions."
Tsarnaev, 19, is under heavy guard at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center where he is listed in serious but stable condition. Officials said the suspect is unable to communicate.
He is in the same hospital where his brother Tamerlan, 26, was brought early Friday after a shootout with police. Tamerlan died of his wounds.
When Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody from the bottom of a boat in the backyard of a Watertown home Friday night, the suspect was bleeding badly and too weak to resist any longer, officials said.
Police believe Tsarnaev he was initially wounded Thursday night in the gunbattle that killed his brother. Police said they found blood in a car he abandoned and blood at a house. Police said he went undetected by the massive manhunt because he had managed to get just one block outside the search perimeter.
It is unclear whether Tsarnaev was hit again during a final volley before his arrest in the boat.
Investigators -- who are expected to be the country's elite counterterror unit -- are hoping that Tsarnaev survives because they are intent on determining what triggered the shocking attack and whether he had any help. The bombing killed three, including a young boy, and wounded about 170. An MIT security officer was allegedly killed by the duo on Wednesday night and a Boston transit cop was badly wounded in a subsequent shootout.
One focus of the probe so far is a six month trip Tamerlan Tsarnaev took to the semi autonomous Russian province of Dagestan in 2012. Dagestan has become a hotbed of militant Islamic activity.
The capture of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev set off a night of celebration in Watertown and Boston, a spontaneous relief after the region was ordered indoors for an entire day as heavily armed SWAT teams searched for the surviving suspect. Jubilant residents high fived police and chanted "Boston strong" and USA.
More details are available from ABC News here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/massachusetts-governor-hopes-bomb-suspect-survives-answer-questions/story?id=19005022#.UXLxB6JwqM5