Western New York - According to statistics compiled by the Niagara Frontier Automobile Dealers Association, new vehicle sales in June rose 6.15 percent from the same time last year. In hard numbers, local auto dealers sold 4,520 new vehicles last month compared with 4,113 in June 2011, according to the association statistics.
For the first half of the year, the local dealerships reported 25,931 new vehicle sales, up from 25,024 reported during the first six months of last year. That's a 3.6 percent increase.
The increased sales were attributed to still-low interest rates, pent-up demand and stronger consumer confidence.
Ford, which is sold at 14 area dealerships, remained the region's top-selling brand, based on information supplied to the auto dealer's association. Chevrolet does report sales figures to the association.
The area's 14 Ford dealers reported selling 1,103 new vehicles last month compared with 1,036 during June 2011, a 6.4 percent rise.
Other June sales figures include:
• Acura, which is sold at one dealer - Ray Laks, reported 37 sales in June, compared with 21 last June, a 76 percent increase.
• Chrysler, which is sold at eight local dealerships, reported 58 new vehicle sales last month, compared with 30 for the same period last year - up 93.3 percent.
• Dodge reported 211 new vehicle sales in June, up 14 percent from 185 year-over-year for the eight area dealers.
• Honda's four local dealers reported 379 sales in June, an 45.7 percent increase from last June when they reported 260 new vehicle sales.
• Jeep, which is sold at eight area dealers, reported a 68.2 percent increase in sales. This past June, they sold 276 new vehicles compared to 164 in 2011.
• Mini, which is only sold at Towne's Clarence dealership location, saw a 56.2 percent increase in sales to 50 from 32 last June.
• Subaru, sold at two area dealer's, saw a 54.3 percent increase in sales to 159 from 103 last June.
• Toyota, sold at five area dealers, remains one of the most popular local brands. The area's Toyota dealers sold 655 vehicles in June compared with 509 vehicles that were sold during June 2011 - a 28.6 percent increase.
• Volkswagen, which is sold at three area dealers, reported a 43.6 percent increase in sales in June to 148 this past June from 103 in June 2011.