Dozens of Western New York agencies could share in a statewide pot of $11.3 million in federal funds to purchase vehicles to transport seniors and individuals with disabilities.
The state Department of Transportation submitted 111 grant recommendations to enable the purchase of 248 accessible vehicles statewide. The Federal Transit Administration is expected to approve the recommendations, with vehicle deliveries to begin this year.
The program provides mobility for individuals who cannot access traditional public transportation. It also provides an economic boost: Most of the vehicles purchased are manufactured and sold in New York.
Grantees, listed by county, follow:
• Genesee County: Genesee County Chapter NYSARC Inc., three vehicles supported by grants of $111,883; Genesee County Nursing Home, one vehicle, $33,780
• Orleans County: Community Action of Orleans & Genesee Inc., three vehicles supported by grants of $113,585
• Cattaraugus County: Cattaraugus Rehabilitation Center Inc., three vehicles supported by grants of $279,687
• Chautauqua County: Chautauqua Adult Day Care Centers Inc., one vehicle supported by grants of $33,089; Chautauqua County Chapter NYSARC Inc., two vehicles, $78,912; TEAM Services Inc., two vehicles, $78,912
• Erie County: Aspire of Western New York Inc., two vehicles supported by grants of $78,732; Erie County Department of Senior Services via the Greater Buffalo Niagara Regional Transportation Council, four vehicles, $125,010; Community Services for the Developmentally Disabled Inc., two vehicles, $75,511; ECMC Lifeline Foundation, one vehicle, $33,600; Heritage Centers, two vehicles, $67,643; Friends Inc., one vehicle, $37,862; Glenwell Depaul Adult Care Facility, one vehicle, $32,644; Lord of Life Adult & Child Services Inc., one vehicle, $33,888; People Inc., four vehicles, $134,816
• Niagara County: Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara, four vehicles supported by grants of $155,610; Rivershore Inc., one vehicle, $32,262; Niagara UCP, two vehicles, $81,408
• Allegany County: Allegany County Chapter NYSARC Inc., two vehicles supported by grants of $71,170
Since its inception in 1974, the program has provided more than $195 million in grant funding opportunities in New York, helping to purchase approximately 4,300 vehicles. Those vehicles provide more than 1.8 million trips annually for seniors and individuals with disabilities across the state. Program funds cover 80 percent of the purchase cost of accessible vehicles; with grant recipients required to contribute the remaining 20 percent.
The program is open to private, non-profit organizations incorporated within the state, as well as public bodies if non-profit corporations are not readily available to provide the services.