People looking for new dining options in downtown Buffalo may soon have several new options to chose from, all with varied menus.
Between early August and late fall, at least nine new restaurants are expected to open along downtown Buffalo's 500 block of Main Street spine and also the Genesee Street entrance into the central business district.
• Oshun, the upscale seafood-based restaurant run by the operators of Shango, plan to open their eatery in the former Howard's Shoes building at 5 E. Huron Street within the next few weeks. Construction crews are putting the final touches on the eatery.
Veteran restaurateur Don Warfe hopes to open Pomme Frites in the first floor of the 5 Genesee Street after the building's landlord, architect Steve Carmina, moves his private residence into its upper floors.
"I'm sold on that location," Warfe said.
• Pomme Frites signature item will be a wide variety of French Fries. It will feature other items including sandwiches, salads and milkshakes.
"We're moving the side dish forward," Warfe said.
• D'Avolio's Kitchen is also slated to open its first downtown location at 535 Main St.
Both Pomme Frites and D'Avolio are planning to open in fall.
• Developer Rocco Termini's Dog e Style, set for Genesee Street, is also due to open by late August.
• Just across Genesee Street, in the Genesee Gateway Building, two restaurants - Marco's Deli and Natalie's - are due to open by late summer or early fall.
• Back on Main Street's 500 block, French-themed Raclette's is scheduled to open at 537 Main St. this fall as is the Great American Grill in the Hamister Group's 10 Lafayette Building. The Great American Grill and a still-to-be named outdoor bar/patio are part of a 124-room Hilton Garden Inn that the Hamister Group is bringing to the building.
• The Big Ditch Brewery will be opening its craft beer microbrewery at 51 E. Huron St. by late summer.
"It is going to be a busy time with all the new restaurants coming," Carmina said.
Many of the new restaurants will be opening about the same time - in autumn - as the 'Cars Sharing Main Street' project is completed along that stretch of the street.