Will Food Trucks Continue in Buffalo?

March 26, 2013 Updated Mar 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM EDT

By WKBW News

...
March 26, 2013 Updated Mar 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM EDT

Buffalo, N.Y. (WKBW) - The Buffalo Common Council will be deciding, Tuesday, whether or not to renew an ordinance for the trucks that is set to expire April 1st.

The new ordinance is much like the old one but would reduce the permit fee for trucks that already paid the $1,000 fee last year. Like the existing ordinance, operators of the new truck would be charged $1,000 for their first permit. In addition, food truck vendors must stay at least 100 feet from any building that has a restaurant with an open kitchen.

"We know that people have spoken in our city, they do desire the food trucks. The food trucks are doing a great business in the city-servicing customers. This is just about seeing now what else we need to change in it and whether it is stable enough now to become a permanent ordinance," Common Councilman Darius Pridgen said.

Although officials said the public has responded well to the food trucks, some restaurant owners said the trucks are hurting their business. That issue and others will be discussed at the Buffalo Common Council meeting at 4 p.m. at City Hall.