Whitney Houston's Official Cause Of Death Was Accidental Drowning

March 22, 2012 Updated Oct 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM EDT

By WKBW News


Whitney Houston's Official Cause Of Death Was Accidental Drowning

March 22, 2012 Updated Oct 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA ( ABC NEWS ) Whitney Houston's official cause of death was due to accidental drowning, with contributing factors of heart disease and cocaine found in her system according to a coroners report released today.

Ed Winter, Spokesman for the Los Angeles Cororner's office told ABCNews.com that the singer's main cause of death was drowning was aggravated by a pre-existing heart condition called atherosclerotic heart disease. Cocaine was also found in her system but the coroner's office refused to comment on how much of the drug was found during the toxicology testing.

Whitney Houston's official death certificate was filed in Los Angeles County on February 15th but the immediate cause of death was listed as "deferred" and the manner of death was noted to be "pending investigation."

The 48-year-old singer was found "underwater and unconscious" in the bathtub in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on February 11th.

Prescription drugs were found nearby,and bottles of champagne and beer were in an adjacent room at the hotel, as seen in photos of the scene obtained by TMZ.

Amid the circumstances of her sudden death and Houston's history of drug addiction, many speculated that the singer died after taking a toxic mix of prescription drugs and alcohol. Houston's autopsy was completed shortly after she died but but toxicology tests were ordered because ""you can look at a body and not know [what] the cause of death is,'' according to Ed Winter, the Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman. "You might have a suspicion, but the person could have suffered a heart attack or embolism."

Investigators also looked into doctors who may have written multiple sedative prescriptions for Houston as they tried to determine the cause of the pop superstar's death.

Winter told ABC News the office was "conducting an investigation and will try to obtain medical records from her doctors."

Earlier this month Oprah Winfrey interviewed Whitney's manager and sister-in-law, Patricia Houston, who gave the family's first account about what happened in Whitney's hotel room on the day the singer suddenly died.

After running errands on Feb. 11, Pat returned to the hotel and visited a room where Whitney was set to film an infomercial.

A few minutes later Patricia said she went down the hall to visit Whitney's room. "I heard screaming," Pat told Winfrey and recounted that she saw Whitney's hair stylist "fall to her knees, saying oh my God, oh my God." Pat recalled that she walked by a woman who opened her hotel room door to see what was going on and told her to call 911 immediately.

A tearful Pat then told Winfrey that as she entered Whitney's room she saw her brother Ray Watson, the singer's security guard, trying to revive Whitney "to the point of exhaustion. I told him let it go, I'm sorry." She added that when she finally saw Whitney "she had a peacefulness on her face." Pat described her sense of shock and inability to leave Whitney's side even after the paramedics asked her to.