Wellsville Man Injured In Afghanistan

July 18, 2011 Updated Jul 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM EDT

By WKBW News


Wellsville Man Injured In Afghanistan

July 18, 2011 Updated Jul 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM EDT

The Spectator

MAIDAN SHAR, Afghanistan — A Wellsville man was knocked out for two days when a truck bomb exploded outside a small American base in Afghanistan on Wednesday morning.

Daniel Butler, a 2008 Wellsville High School graduate and a U.S. Army combat medic, was one of 22 soldiers injured in the southern Wardak province. Four Afghan civilians were also injured, military officials said, as the explosion “tore a hole nearly 30 feet wide in the earth-filled barriers surrounding the base, flattening several prefabricated buildings and heavily damaging the command center.”

Butler woke on Friday and was able to call his parents in Wellsville who only knew he had a “temporary brain injury.”

Military officials said it was a suicide bomb and the remains of the driver of the truck were found hundreds of feet away.

Capt. Matthew Roehm, of the 4th Brigade, said in Stars and Stripes, “Investigators believe a suicide bomber using up to 2,000 pounds of explosives was responsible for the blast. This is the first time we’ve seen that massive an amount of explosives in one spot. Some serious planning went into it.”

Roehm told Stars and Stripes the bomber drove to the southern side of Dash-e-Towp around 6 a.m., inching close to the perimeter on what Roehm described as a dirt path between the outpost and an Afghan police training center.

The blast punched through the Hescos and into the command center, ripping up the building’s interior and wounding soldiers working there. The explosion’s pressure wave was powerful enough to destroy four prefabricated barracks, similar to shipping containers, and rip doors from hinges a half-mile away.

“No one was living in the (barracks) at the time, or they definitely would have been killed,” Roehm said.

Butler was able to e-mail the Wellsville Daily Reporter and said, “It was a 1-ton vehicle bomb and I was in the blast radius of it, but I was lucky. I’m in a TBI (traumatic brain injury) clinic now and being evaluated to see if I can stay in the fight.”

For a link to the full story from the EveningTribune.com, go to the "news links" section of wkbw.com