UB Dorm Evacuated for Carbon Monoxide Leak

February 18, 2013 Updated Feb 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM EDT

By WKBW News
By Rachel Elzufon

...
February 18, 2013 Updated Feb 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM EDT

Amherst, NY (WKBW) - Students living in the Richmond Quad of the University at Buffalo North Campus are back in their dorms after spending nearly three hours being evacuated.

The residence hall was evacuated shortly after 8:30 in the evening on Sunday due to a carbon monoxide poisoning. UB Police responded prior to the evacuation, due to complaints of residents suffering from nausea.

Multiple fire trucks and frist responders were on the scene.

UB Spokesman Joe Brennan says the Carbon Monoxide leak stemmed from a boiler room malfunction, which has been contained and resolved.

Brennan said two students were taken to an area hospital and two others drove themselves to the hospital. Even though their conditions were unknown, Brennan said the students were expected to be okay. He said no one lost consciousness.

A fifth person was treated at the scene.

About 500 students live in the Richmond Quad, which is made up of multiple buildings. The number of students in the dorm on Sunday night is unknown because it is a holiday weekend.

During the bitter cold night, Brennan said students were not left out in the cold. Richmond is a part of a larger complex of several dorms. Students not effected were able to go to the food quart or other residence halls.

University at Buffalo emergency crews were on hand along with the Getzville Fire Department, making sure that the problem was corrected before students were let back in.

Students were let back in the residence hall at about 11:15 in the evening.