Travel Trailer Explodes

August 23, 2011 Updated Aug 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM EDT

By Ed Reilly

...
August 23, 2011 Updated Aug 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM EDT


(Carlton, N.Y.) An explosion at the home of Roy and Doris Bannister caused severe damage and badly burned the homeowner.

Investigators say 92-year old Roy Bannister went to check on an alarm around 7am.

As he entered a garage area, a travel trailer parked nearby exploded.

The explosion completely destroyed the travel trailer, garage, carport, and badly damaged part of the house.

Bannister's son and granddaughters found the elderly man crying for help under a pile of rubble.

He was taken by Mercy Flight to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester where he is listed in guarded condition.

Officials say they believe that leaking propane inside the camping trailer caused the explosion.

Fire officials aren't sure what ignited the gas.

Debris from the blast was scattered around the yard.

Married in 1940, Roy and Doris Bannister recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary.

Doris Bannister, also in her 90's, was inside the Point Breeze Road home at the time of the explosion.

She was not injured.

Several Fire Companies assisted the Carlton Fire Department including Albion, Holley, Hulberton, Kendall, and Lyndonville.

A leaking 500-pound propane tank, stored in the backyard, kept crews busy for most of the morning.

A valve was damaged by the explosion.

As firemen sprayed water onto the tank and surrounding area, workers attached a metal pipe which allowed them to vent and burn off the propane.

The tank was emptied without incident.