BUFFALO, NY ( release) - A wide variety of food items and local restaurants were selected as award winners today at the 28th annual Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops. The judging took place this morning, July 9, by a panel of honorary judges including representatives from the Buffalo-Niagara media, political and business sectors.
Several Channel 7 personalities including Ginger Geoffery and Patrick Taney from "Eyewitness News This Morning" stepped up to taste test challenge.
One award, the Fan Favorite Food, has yet to be determined as festival-goers can continue to text a vote for their favorite Taste item through the end of the event. Item numbers and texting information are available at the event and in the festival guide.
The 2011 Taste winners were:
· Chairman’s Choice (chosen by 2011 Chairman Mark Zawodzinski): Laughlin’s Hog Wing
· Children’s Choice (chosen by Zoe Zawodzinski, daughter of this year’s chairman): Nick Charlaps Ice Cream Custard Ice Cream Cone
· New York Award (selected by U.S Congresswoman Kathy Hochul): Alex’s Place Restaurant Pot Roast Slider
· Pat Sardina Memorial Award for Best Comfort Food: Giacobbi’s Pasta & Pizza Steak in the Grass
· Lou Billitier Memorial “Rookie of the Year” Award: Nitro Magic Ice Cream
· Best Overall Item: Bings Goo
· Best Meat Item: BW’s Barbecue Atomic Drop
· Best Seafood Item: Bings Crab Cake/Sicilian Cigar Combo
· Best Vegetarian Item: Molinaro’s Ristorante & NY Pizzeria Watermelon Salad
· Best Dessert: Landies Candies Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake
· Best Red Wine: Hazlitt Vineyards Schooner Red
· Best White Wine: Glenora Wine Cellars Dry Riesling
· Independent Health Foundation’s Healthy Options:
o First Place: Sweet Melody’s Fresh Fruit Sorbet
o Second Place: Encore Restaurant Strawberry/Goat Salad
o Third Place: Isabella’s Italian Deli Italian Ice
The Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops, runs Sunday July 10, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. along Delaware Avenue from Chippewa Street to Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. For more information, visit www.tasteofbuffalo.com.
Meet your favorite Channel 7 personalities, enter to win tennis tickets to HSBC, and pick up some free gifts from "Soft Lips" at the WKBW tent inside Niagara Square!