BUFFALO, NY ( WKBW ) Looking for something healthy to enjoy at the upcoming "Taste Of Buffalo" weekend food festival? You can find many "Healthy Options" thanks to the folks at the Independent Health Foundation.
Thursday on Channel 7's "Eyewitness News This Morning," Carrie Meyer shared a healthy treat with Patrick Taney and Ginger Geoffery.
The Taste of Buffalo will be staged from Niagara Square and up Delaware to Chippewa Saturday and Sunday. Visit the WKBW booth inside Niagara Square and meet your favorite personalities!
The Independent Health Foundation began the Healthy Options Buffalo program in 2004 to help address the high rates of stroke and heart disease in Western New York. We work with local restaurants to prepare heart-healthy menu options for their customers to make healthier choices while dining out.
· Healthy Options menu items are lower in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
· Five years ago we began this great partnership with the Taste of Buffalo, presented by Tops Markets, which requires each food vendor to offer a Healthy Option menu item. We are the only food festival of its kind in the country that has this requirement.
· The Taste officials and restaurants have really embraced this program and we’re very appreciative of that. It’s really catching on throughout our region – people want the option to eat healthy.
· We’ve got some great options for people to try this year:
Balsamic chicken salad
Baja shrimp salsa
Mediterranean pasta salad
· And the mucho mocha berry cupcake from Melanie’s Sweets Unlimited from the Broadway Market, which I have with me today.
· Melanie’s has been in business for more than 25 years.
· Their other menu items for the Taste include tie dye cupcakes, Crystal Beach sugar waffles and Crystal Beach suckers.
· The top three Healthy Options will win cash prizes of $1,000, $500 and $250. We’ve got some great dishes this year and it’s going to be a tough competition.
· Past Healthy Options winners are:
Giacobbi's Pasta and Pizza - turkey meatball in marinara
Orazio's Restaurant - beans and greens soup
Saigon Cafe - summer roll
Previous wining restaurants:
Kabab and Curry
Tandoori’s Royal Indian Cuisine
· We would also like to thank Roche Diagnostics for their continued support and partnership with the Healthy Options program.
· Congratulations to the Taste of Buffalo and all of the participating restaurants for their creative dishes and we wish you much success this weekend.
· Visit healthyoptionsbuffalo.com to view a list of participating restaurants and their healthy menu items.
· The Taste of Buffalo runs from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. July 9 and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 10 on Delaware Avenue and Niagara Street in downtown Buffalo.
· Melanie’s is located at 999 Broadway in the Broadway Market. Owner is Eric Kryger. Number is 895-1959.