Taglianetti Pleads Not Guilty to Murder Charge

December 19, 2012 Updated Dec 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM EDT

By WKBW News
By Rachel Elzufon

December 19, 2012 Updated Dec 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM EDT

MAYVILLE, NY (WKBW) - The accused killer of a beloved Clymer superintendent appeared in a Western New York court for the first time on Wednesday.

Anthony Taglianetti was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Clymer Central School District Superintendent Keith Reed.

Authorities have said Taglianetti went to Clymer from his Virginia home to confront Reed.

Neighbors say Taglianetti recently found out while separated from his wife, she had a relationship with Reed. Neighbors say the two planned to be together.

In court Wednesday morning, District Attorney David Foley told the judge that Taglianetti was a flight risk. Foley said Taglianetti fled to Virginia, and was "on the run" before being found at Shenandoah National Park.

In a news conference, Foley said "He fled New York State, we put up a national be on the look out for him back in September."

Taglianetti was appointed a public defender. His attorney, Nathaniel Barone, denies his client fled. Barone said his client was in Virginia because it was his home state.

Barone said Taglianetti "has indicated that he was eager to get back to New York State to address these charges."

Foley explained that Taglianetti "was not located at his residence in Virginia, he was located camping out," something Barone did not elaborate on.

Taglianetti's attorney accuses the Chautauqua County District Attorney's office of already trying this case in the media and giving out information, although Barone would not pinpoint what details he was referring to.

The most critical of Taglianetti might be his own wife, who told reporters with ABC affiliate WJLA back in September that she was glad he was behind bars.

Taglianetti will next be in court January 28th for a pre-motion hearing.

Barone says he will need some time before a trial begins to sift through evidence.

Foley hopes the trial will begin in the next few months.