Suspicious House Fire 3 Days After Suspicious Death at Same House

July 27, 2010 Updated Jul 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM EDT

By Ginger Geoffery

July 27, 2010 Updated Jul 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY ( WKBW ) A pregnant woman narrowly escaped her burning home after someone apparently fire-bombed it early Tuesday morning.
Just three days earlier the same home was the scene of a suspicious death. A 63-year-old woman died there on Saturday and some of her relatives now think the Tuesday morning fire was an attempt by the woman's killer to destroy evidence.

When firefighters arrived around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday their first priority was saving a woman who is five months pregnant from the burning home at 576 Goodyear Avenue. "We had a company rescue a woman out of a first floor window on the side of the structure," says Battalion Chief Michael Biasillo of the Buffalo Fire Department.

The pregnant woman has now been identified as 43-year-old Antoinette Ingram and as of Tuesday evening she was listed in serious condition at the Erie County Medical Center.

By Tuesday afternoon at the house residents and family members were picking through the charred structure. "I came by here to see what I could get out of her apartment because we still haven't been able to go up there and get anything since that happened," says Asia Conway. She's referring to the death of her mother Shirley Conway, 63, on Saturday in the upper apartment of the two-unit home.

"They hit her with something on the head and strangled her, left her die," says Conway, "You can't get up close and personal on a person and do that unless you're personal with them."

Buffalo Police will only confirm that they are investigating the death, but Asia Conway believes her mother was killed by a man she knew well and she suspects that man came back and fire-bombed the house to cover his tracks.

The Buffalo Fire Marshal's Office is treating the fire as suspicious and investigators have brought in extra help in the form of a specially-trained arson-investigating dog from the Erie County Sheriff's Office.

For Asia Conway the suspected fire-bombing just adds insult to her grief. "I'm just sorry that it all had to come down to this but I'm more sorry that I lost my mother," explains Conway, "None of this is going to bring her back. This (fire) didn't bring her back. I'm not getting closure out of this. I'm going to get closure out of finding her killer."