BATAVIA, NY (WKBW) The New York State Police and Department of Environmental Conservation are issuing tips to hunters in anticipation of hunting season.
Firearms hunting opens on Saturday, November 17. State Police offer these reminders to hunters:
1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Be sure to always point the muzzle in a safe direction, away from people.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Be sure of your target and be aware of what lies beyond.
1. Wear bright orange hunting clothing so you will be visible to other hunters.
2. Let your family and friends know when and where you are hunting and what time you should be expected back at home.
3. Check your equipment, especially tree stands for functionality. Make sure your stand, whether store bought or built, is strong and sturdy.
4. Be aware of your location. Carry a compass, flashlight and cell phone in the event you become lost. It is also important to know your surroundings to avoid trespassing on other adjacent properties.
5. Carry your hunting license and remember to display your hunting tag.