Science Experiment Goes Awry, Leaves High School Freshman With Serious Burns

December 2, 2011 Updated Dec 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM EDT

...

Science Experiment Goes Awry, Leaves High School Freshman With Serious Burns

December 2, 2011 Updated Dec 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM EDT

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, four Minnesota high school students were injured Thursday -- including one who suffered serious burns to his face, neck and right hand -- when a classroom science experiment went awry.

According to the Star Tribune story, a teacher dropped a match into a jug of methanol as part of an experiment during class when the incident occurred. Three students were treated for burns and released from an area hospital, but a 15-year-old boy remains hospitalized with second-degree burns, according to the Star Tribune.

Read the Star Tribune story HERE.