Sabres hope to bring more events to Buffalo

January 14, 2014 Updated Jan 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
January 14, 2014 Updated Jan 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM EDT

Buffalo, NY (WKBW-TV) - In September, 40 of America’s top hockey talent eligible for the NHL Draft will flood the rink at the First Niagara Center. The Sabres announced they have signed a 2-year commitment with USA Hockey to host the All American Prospects Game.

“This is a part of the world that has a lot of hockey DNA in it, and where we are very comfortable,” said President of USA Hockey Dave Ogrean.

The event is not the only thing that Sabres officials hope to bring to the Buffalo area. In working closer with USA Hockey, the Sabres hope that the new addition of the HARBORcenter will attract more events like this.

“We’re not done yet. Pat, John and I, we’re going to work together with our retrospective teams and bring a lot of events like this to Buffalo,” said Sabres President Ted Black.

The big event being looked at to bring to Buffalo would be the 2018 World Juniors Hockey Tournament, which was previously hosted in Buffalo in 2011. With the addition to the HARBORcenter, Buffalo is being looked at as a serious contender.

“We will have some opportunity to host some games that may will be a big draw inside our walls here,” said Black.

Ticket information for the public is still not available, but Sabres season ticket holders will receive free seats to the game.