BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - Residents in Black Rock met with federal, state and local officials Monday night to address concerns following last month's massive industrial fire on Chandler Street.
"This is my house," a woman shouted as she was escorted from the room.
Residents are concerned that the fire, which burned for nearly 24 hours, is causing them health problems.
"Let's talk about some sick people. Nausea, headaches," said one resident.
The former home of Niagara Lubricants burned out of control beginning in the early morning hours of July 13, sending thick, black and potentially toxic smoke into the neighborhood.
Residents were ordered to stay in their homes with their windows and doors shut, but many wondered why they were never evacuated.
"Is there an emergency plan for people to be evacuated? And do you have places for us to go?" asked another resident.
Fire officials say there is an emergency plan, but sheltering residents instead of removing them from their homes was the right choice during the Niagara Lubricants blaze.
We certainly considered what was in the best interest of the community. Sheltering in place is a viable tool to be used," said Chief Garnell Whitfield of the Buffalo Fire Department.