Protecting Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 4, 2014 Updated Jan 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM EDT


January 4, 2014 Updated Jan 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM EDT

KENMORE, N.Y. (WKBW) -One local organization is helping to protect a local family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

On Saturday, the Camillo family was given a brand new furnace, after a routine tune-up uncovered potentially deadly amounts of carbon monoxide leaking from their old unit.

It was affecting the family's health. That was when Candee Camillo contacted The Amanda Hansen Foundation.

The group supplies carbon monoxide detectors to those who need them and spreads awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Hansen Foundation bought the family the new furnace and Roy's installed it free of charge.

It's all in memory of their daughter, Amanda Hansen,who died of carbon monoxide poisoning five years ago while sleeping over a friends house..

Ever since , helping others like Candee, has been the family's mission