Overnight Standoff Ends Peacefully

November 24, 2010 Updated Nov 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM EDT

By WKBW News

November 24, 2010 Updated Nov 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - An all night standoff with police ends peacefully Wednesday morning in South Buffalo, but not without some intense moments.

Buffalo Police Spokesperson Mike DeGeorge said just after 11 o'clock Tuesday night, police began receiving threatening calls from a man refusing to come out of his Seneca Street home.

"He barricaded himself in his basement. At one point there may have been other family members in the home. Everyone else got out, he was the only one left in the house," DeGeorge said.

Authorities said gunshots may have been fired but no one was hurt. For safety precautions, the people who lived in the apartment upstairs from the man and the residents in the houses on both sides of his home were evacuated. A section of Seneca Street was also shut down as hostage negotiators tried to coax the man out.

"The negotiations were intense at times and family members were called into help," DeGeorge said.

After eight hours, the man surrendered peacefully to police. The investigation into the details of what triggered this incident continues but police said it might have stemmed from a domestic dispute.

People who live and work in this area of South Buffalo said it was a shock.

"People were concerned and I think it's fortunate everything ended on a positive note," CEO WNY AmericaCorp. Mark Lazzara said.

As of Wednesday afternoon, 38 year old Mark Zimmer has been charged in connection with the standoff incident that ended early Wednesday morning in the 2200 block of Seneca Street. Zimmer was charged with reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon. The standoff ended without incident around 7am when Zimmer surrendered to Buffalo police SWAT and members of the Buffalo police hostage management team. Zimmer was taken to ECMC to be evaluated following the incident.

During the standoff, Channel 7 also got a call from a person claiming to be the man in the house. He said that police were not cooperating with him and that he would "take out" himself and an officer. Channel 7 called 911 immediately. Police have not confirmed if the caller was really the man in the home.