Niagara Falls School Evacuated After Chlorine Gas Leak

February 11, 2013 Updated Feb 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
February 11, 2013 Updated Feb 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM EDT

A Niagara Falls school has been evacuated after a chlorine gas leak late Monday morning.

Gaskill Prep School, at 910 Hyde Park Blvd, was evacuated after police say chemicals intended to go into the school pool were improperly mixed by a custodian a little before 10 a.m.

The custodian accidentally mixed muriatic acid in a holding tank containing other chemicals, causing the leak of a chlorine cloud.

Two maintenance workers were taken to the Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center for evaluation. Within minutes, the school was evacuated and all students were bussed to neighboring schools.

Parents were notified via phone and an alert e-mail. No injuries were reported amongst students.

Fire crews say they believe the situation is somewhat contained at this time, but will take several hours to dissipate all of the chlorine.