New Contractor Hired to Take Down Kensington Towers

August 15, 2011 Updated Aug 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM EDT

By Ed Reilly

...
August 15, 2011 Updated Aug 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM EDT

(Buffalo, NY) The Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority (BMHA) has hired a new contractor to finish the demolition of the Kensington Towers.

According to BMHA attorney Adam Perry, "Apollo Dismantling" has been hired finish the job

Since the 1980's, the Kensington Towers have stood vacant.

Several years ago, the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority received a $5-million dollar grant to demolish the old public housing project.

A local company, HLM Holding, was contracted to do the job.

They were fired earlier this year after the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority said they failed to secure adequate bonding and complete the project on time.

HLM Holding has since filed a lawsuit claiming a breech of contract by the BMHA.

The Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority says they hope the new contractor can complete the demolition by the end of this construction season.

On August 4th, the US Attorney for the Western District, William Hochul, Jr., announced that two sub-contractors and nine individuals were charged with felony violation the federal Clean Air Act.

The indictment alleges the individuals improperly removed asbestos from the Kensington Towers.

Several officials are calling for soil and air testing of the surrounding neighborhood to see how far the asbestos traveled from the site.