Chautauqua County Toxic Warning

April 12, 2011 Updated Oct 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...

Chautauqua County Toxic Warning

April 12, 2011 Updated Oct 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM EDT

The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office is warning the citizens of the county about a potential toxic hazard that has been found within the last week in the northern Chautauqua County area.

On two separate occasions in the last week, the Sheriff’s Office has responded to calls after citizens have found discarded liter soda bottles along local roadways. Initially, it was thought that these could have been soda bottle bombs as there have been reported incidents of those in Chautauqua County in the past. The Town of Ripley is suspected to be one of the probable locations.

After closer inspection of the bottles found in these incidents, deputies have found that the bottles contain the hazardous and toxic waste left from individuals manufacturing (cooking) methamphetamine in what is known as a one pot (bottle) manufacturing (cook) method. After the individuals have made the methamphetamine, there is a quantity of residue that is left behind in the bottle. The bottles will typically have some type of rubber tubing protruding from them when discarded. The individuals are then discarding the residue bottles by throwing them out along the road.

It is believed that these bottles were discarded by individual(s) who were recently arrested in the State of Pennsylvania for manufacturing methamphetamines in a motor vehicle. The Southern Tier Regional Drug Task Force assisted Pennsylvania authorities with the investigation.

Sheriff Gerace stated: “If anyone should encounter such a device, please do not touch it. The contents can be extremely toxic. Please contact the Sheriff’s Office or your local law enforcement agency for disposal”. Parents are encouraged to discuss this situation with their children.

The chemicals used to make meth are toxic. The fumes from meth waste can cause itching and burn the eyes, throat, and lungs if inhaled. Physical contact with the chemicals or piles of waste can burn the skin and cause very severe respiratory damage.