Mayor Brown Tours Downtown Entertainment District

August 21, 2010 Updated Aug 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM EDT

By John Borsa

August 21, 2010 Updated Aug 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) -- Buffalo police officers issued traffic and parking tickets, walked the beat and ejected rowdy bar patrons from the city's Entertainment District Friday night.

At least two dozen officers patrolled the neighborhood on foot. Patrol cars constantly circled the area as officers stepped up efforts to keep order following last weekend's deadly mass shooting in downtown's nearby Business District.

Mayor Byron Brown toured West Chippewa Street for more than two hours, declaring the city's entertainment hub as a safe place for people to have a good time.

"Downtown is the face of Buffalo in many ways," said Brown as he visited bar and nightclubs and chatted with party-goers.

"People are out having a good time and we're going to make sure every section of the city is safe," he said.

Brown is expected to release a new crime-fighting plan sometime next week.

Several bar owners joined Brown on the tour including Soho Bar General Manager Jay Manno.

"It's been a good opportunity to walk with city officials and show them some of the things that need to be taken care of," said Manno

Buffalo Fire Marshals checked establishments for occupancy violations and several bar owners said New York State Liquor Authority inspectors were visiting establishments.

Police officers lined the streets and gathered on street corners, asking loiterers to keep moving and directing traffic during brief moments of gridlock.

Most of the congestion on W. Chippewa St. is caused by taxis, whose drivers constantly roam the area looking for their next fare, according to business owners.

One suggestion that came up during the Mayor's tour was the creation of a taxi stand to prevent cabs from clogging up the street.

"That plan is already in the works," said B District Police Chief Brian Patterson. "We're planning on doing something similar for limousines as well."

No major incidents were reported. On a few rare occasions, officers could be seen ejecting people from the street for minor incidents.

No arrests were reported.